Monday, August 6, 2012

Greening Up

We've always tried to incorporate healthy eating and regular excercise as a part of our daily routine. However-- we've recognized all kinds of area's in our lives that could use a little "greening-up." We made a resolve at the beginning of this year to find greener alternatives. This includes changing up our workout routine a little bit-- exploring more of the outdoors;) for the past few months we've taken a particular interest in cycling! We're loving it! We would love to continue exploring fun healthy workout routines to spice up the mix a lil. We have always enjoyed fresh home cooked meals, but now are taking a particular interest in becoming more healthy-cooking-savvy and exploring different healthy recipies or subsitutes. We've decided to post a new green-up idea each week to help give us that extra boost of motivation to encourage us to continue exploring. Here's our first ever "green-up" post:

There's this awesome link below that teaches you how to clean your bathroom like a pro-- I swear it's faster, better and super eco-friendly! Check it out!!!



http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/07/how-to-clean-your-bathroom-like-pro.html

Since this is our first green-up post we decided to make it a two-fer----- here's our second green-up idea:

DIY Febreze for Super Cheap!!!

I'm slightly obsessed with Febreze, and frankly can't afford using it as much as I'd like to. This is why up until today I've been diluting it down to practly the very last drop! I Febreze our shower curtains, couch, pillows, closet, bed, towels (so I don't have to wash them every time) our rug etc., but my most favorite use for it. . .  on clothes! I know it sounds gross-- I don't use it necessarily to wash them but to iron them;) not with an iron either. I learned this trick from one of my New York roomies. We had so much to fit in such a little space we were all about quick and easy ideas. She would lay out her slightly wrinkled clothes for the day on her bed, ones she'd just pulled from the drawer. Next, she'd spray them with Febreze and would spread out the wrinkles with her hand. Then she'd continue to get ready for the day and come back to her fresh scented wrinkle free outfit-- put it on, and she was off! Brilliant. Since this discovery I've hardly ever ironed since. We steam a lot of our stuff but it's so nice to just give that shirt a spritz and spread and be ready to go!

I recently came across this recipe for home made Febreze-- it's amazing and it only costs apx $0.15 to make!

Here's what you need:

1/8 Cup of Your Favorite Fabric Softener (I don't normally use fabric softener. . . so I had to go pick one out. . . I think I smelled everyone at the store but this one. . . and then a little kid in the shopping cart next to me said, "Try Snuggle!" I took his word for it and who would've thought that would be my fav too!)

2 Tablespoons Baking Soda

Hot Tap Water - To Fill the Bottle to the Top

Shake it up in your Spray Bottle and you're ready to go!


Tada!

1 comment:

  1. So cool! Cant wait to read all your great green ideas! We are "greener" too! We use vinegar instead of fabric softened (and it doesn't stink) and clear aloe Vera gel instead of hair gel!

    ReplyDelete