Sunday, November 8, 2009

Melissa and Me


Melissa, my cousin, had been out visiting Boston this week. She took a detour on her way to Philly where she will get to present her thesis at a conference, and spent a day here with me in New York! It was so much fun to see her-- she really is just another one of my sisters. We went exploring for the afternoon around battery park and visited the 911 site, meandered our way through Wall Street, waved at Lady Liberty, and watched some fun street dancers! That night I had my first performance of Kenneth Cope's "Women at the Well." It was fun to be in New York--a million miles from home, and still have a family member in the audience;) After that we explored Times Square-- always so full of tourists! Gotta love em;) and finally rested to eat-- at Planet Hollywood. Melissa had never been to one, so it was a fun opportunity for me to make the introduction.

Today we went to church down by the Lincoln Center- it's actually in the same building as the Manhattan Temple-- but they're totally separated off. I had been in that ward for a month- over a year ago- and knew that there was a pretty good possibility I'd run into a few familiar faces, but as we were walking in Melissa said, "How about we play a game--and see if we can find one person here that I might already know-- that would be cool if I knew somebody here." As soon as we walked into the chapel we found friend after friend, after friend after friend . . . of Melissa. Everybody knew her-- I take that back, every guy knew her, (there were a few girls too). It was so fun to see all the round-a-bout ways she was connected to so many different people! "Oh I went on a blind date with him once, I know her from a conference I was at this weekend, he served with my brother on his mission. . ." haha it was awesome to see all of her connections!

This weekend was just so much fun! And there are just so many more exciting things ahead. Can't wait to tell you all about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment