Saturday, January 2, 2010

*Satur-snow-day*

This morning I woke up at the crack of dawn to go on my final run with my team before our race next week. I didn't notice until I walked out my front door that it was snowing again! This is something that I have been fortunate enough to sneak past in my training-- thus far. There hasn't been a team training day that was in the snow, until today. We followed the rim of the Hudson down to the Brooklyn Bridge and then we (those of us that have our race next week) turned around and ran back to where our bags had been stored, at one of our coaches offices. . . fortunately for us, he's a physical therapist. I dare say that today was one of my most challenging runs yet-- it was freezing cold the entire time, the path was all icy so we had to kind of stomp while we ran so we wouldn't slip and fall, and the wind was blowing so hard on our way back that I couldn't even pull my hood on against the wind! We were all so numb when we got back, and there were lots of injuries too. They had prepared a yummy breakfast for us, and awesome bloody Mary's-- haha and no, I just chose to stick with the orange juice. As I went to collect my things to head out I saw that almost all of his rooms for his patients were filled with our teammates! I was still trying to unthaw, and so I knew that they must have been really hurting if they would let him wrap bags of ice around them! There were bags tied around feet and shoulders. . . it looked like it was a tough day for a lot of other people too. But one more week-- were almost there!
I have been meaning to go to this store since I first heard about it, about a year ago, and today I finally went! It's a new and used bookstore-- and there are a million books there! I literally got lost in the labyrinth of bookshelves in the Christianity section-- which was no Deseret Book! I spent way too long, and bothered way too many people trying to find the CS Lewis section-- which I finally found on my own-- it had just been mistakenly put on the wrong shelf. I only found one of his books though, and there were a handful of them. There may have been more somewhere, but there are literally 18 miles of books--it's in their name-- haha, and I didn't have time to go through all of them. Oh but it was such a great store-- a definite must see for anyone that likes anything to do with books, and ever comes to this city!


3 comments:

  1. Holy dedicated runner! Good luck on your race!!! Hm... that bookstore sounds fun... maybe on our next visit. Sadly we wont have Hotel Channing to stay at :(
    Do you have a countdown yet?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps, did you figure out how to download actions? i tried another one the other day and couldn't get it to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. chan! I just got back from a walk with your mom and I've been using my nike+ thing that goes in my shoe and then plugs into my ipod! It's so cool! We went over 4 miles and burned over 400 calories! It keeps a log of all your stats online too at nikerunning.com. I earned a medal too for meeting one of my goals - to go over 30K in 30days! Go me!
    Your race looks like it was so much fun. Not to mention all the cool stuff for cancer! AND DISNEY WORLD! That is totally cool.
    Hope you haven't given up on PSE yet. Your mom mentioned getting me a hard drive to send you so I'm waiting... then you'll have all sorts of stuff to scrapbook with.
    Will you do me a favor and email me pictures of what you would hypthetically want your wedding cake to look like? ;)I'd love to know.

    ReplyDelete